Friday, July 04, 2008

Subtle, but serious

I got this recently from a friend. I have seen a similar one (still searching the web) about Kalpana Chawala and her brother. I dont know who is responsible for the advertisement. I searched the web for this and similar (save the girl child) advertisement, but not much luck.

What is Jawaharlal Nehru's son's name?
The image reads 'What is Jawaharlal Nehru's son's name?'.
The fine print at the bottom reads 'Do not neglect the girl child'.

When i first saw the lines, i was wondering who the brother of Indira Gandhi was, and his name etc. That was for about a second, as i was scrolling to the bottom of the image. I didnt have to read the small print, but it struck me about the same time. Now isnt this a cool advertisement?

Well, i guess it has the same effect as 'smoking is injurious to health', you turn the page and move on. I wonder how it affects the people who think about this, in their desperate efforts to conceive a male child.

No comments: